We haven’t had a television for about 8 months now. Initially we didn’t get around to upgrading our tv, then we thought – why not wait and see how long we can last without one? At first, I was very resistant to this idea. We were never huge television watchers to begin with, I guess I was resistant because I thought the evenings would be really boring without tv. But I never wanted to fall into watching tv as the default evening habit, so I gave it a go. 8 months in and I honestly don’t miss it at all!
I know this decision isn’t for everyone, but if you are considering pulling the plug, here’s what happened when we did.
– Sam and I talk more. We have deeper and more meaningful conversations now there’s no tv competing for attention.
– We take our time preparing dinner, and eat it slowly. At 6pm most nights I will put my computer to sleep, then make dinner. This has become my way of unwinding from the day, and since we don’t have to rush so we wont miss an episode on tv, I think I’m becoming a more creative cook!
– I bought a fun little game called ‘Which‘. It’s basically a fun conversation starter with questions like, ‘which luxury would you rather go without?’ Movies, cheese, shampoo, public transport, restaurants or socks…? It’s really eye opening, we’ve been enjoying it! I also like the look of Cards against Humanity, but I don’t think you can get it in NZ or Australia yet?
– We can always watch online (on-demand) the day after it airs on the laptop, if we really want to. We usually watch a rented movie (mostly from iTunes) in the weekend.
– With no TV you really feel like you have more time, which is always a nice thing. Previously, when we watched a lot of TV, the evenings would just disappear.
– As I mentioned, we’ve discovered there are better ways to unwind then sitting in front of the TV. Like making Pizza dough from scratch, reading, sipping on tea, planning holidays…
– I spend most of my day behind a screen, so I love having the evenings screen-free.
I’m not anti-television. I’m only anti-television as the default form of mindless entertainment. I’m really enjoying life without one! What do you think would happen if you gave up tv?